Our famous breaded mushrooms are a perennial favorite at the Pennsylvania Farm Show. With this easy and delicious recipe from our good friend Michelle Guizzetti (@AMushroomQueen), now you can enjoy them at home!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Makes 1 pound Breaded Mushrooms
• 16 oz Button mushrooms, rinsed
• Vegetable oil for deep frying
• 1-1 1/2 cups seasoned panko
• ½ cup flour
• ½ cup milk
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp cayenne pepper
• ½ tsp black pepper
• ½ tsp dried basil
• ½ tsp dried thyme
Preparation and Cooking
1. Rinse mushrooms, set aside to dry completely.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a stock pot or fryer to 350°F-375°F (check temperature with
a candy thermometer)
3. In a large mixing bowl, make batter: mix flour, milk, baking powder and all herbs and spices
4. Place seasoned panko in a shallow dish
5. Place dry mushrooms into batter and coat them all over.
6. Let mushrooms sit in the batter for 5-7 minutes.
7. Dip and roll each battered mushroom into the seasoned panko and place on a baking sheet.
8. Working in small batches (4-6 mushrooms) fry each batch for 2-3 minutes until
cooked through. Place on a plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce!